RF 3 Resilience Frameworks and Metrics for Road Stakeholders
Tuesday, February 8 08:00 - 09:30 (Calgary)
Chair: Dr. Ioannis BENEKOS, PIARC TC 1.4 member, Greece
This foresight session stems from the need to present indicative perspectives of state-of-the-art resilience frameworks and metrics that are of interest and applicable to road stakeholders. This is of particular relevance to PIARC’s TC1.4- Climate Change and Resilience of Road Network having in its scope of work for 2020-2023 for taking into account holistic methodologies and approaches concerning resilience in view of the update of PIARC’s proposed International Framework on Climate Change Adaptation for Road Infrastructure but also to the PIARC’s Strategic Theme 4 dealing with Resilient Infrastructure.
The aforementioned perspectives cover a wide range including resilience considerations in freight movements from disruptive events, methods and concepts for assessing the resilience of transport infrastructures, guidelines proposed for measuring resilience and prioritizing intervention, a framework for investment considerations and, use of Big Data in improving resilience.
A roundtable discussion on the presentations and on key selected questions with the participation of key experts representing ECTRI, TRB and PIARC and the presenters will shed further insight into the presented issues and how these could be best exploited by various stakeholders, including LMICs.
- Welcome and session introduction
- Questions and Answers / Roundtable discussion
Welcome and session introduction
• Chair: Dr. Ioannis BENEKOS. Head of Laboratory on Risk Management and Resilience of the Hellenic Institute of Transport (HIT) at the Centre for Research & Technology Hellas (CERTH); Greece’s national representative in PIARC’s TC 1.4; rapporteur of ECTRI’s Thematic Group on Security & Resilience – Greece
• Caroline ALMERAS. ECTRI Secretary General – Belgium, Welcoming on behalf of ECTRI
• Neil J. PEDERSEN. TRB Executive Director; National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine – USA, Welcoming on behalf of TRB
• Caroline EVANS. Chair of PIARC’s TC 1.4; Principal Policy Advisor at the National Transport Commission – Australia, Welcoming on behalf of PIARC Technical Committee (TC) 1.4
Considering Freight Movements and the Effective Practices Learned from Previous Disruptive Events in the USA
• Anne STRAUSS-WIEDER. Director, Freight Planning, North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority, USA, and Chair of the TRB Transportation Resilience Section
Measuring the resilience of, and prioritizing interventions for, road transport systems using expert opinion. Guidelines from the EU project "FORESEE"
• Dr. Claudio MARTANI. Research associate, ETH Zurich – Switzerland
• MSc Eng. Concepción TORIBIO. Researcher, CEMOSA – Spain
Methods and concepts for assessing the resilience of Transport Infrastructure, including a decision support tool to prioritize resilience measures
• Dr. Kalliopi ANASTASSIADOU. Senior researcher, Division Bridges and Structural Technology / Section Tunnel and Foundation Engineering, Tunnel Operation, Civil Security, Federal Highway Research Institute (BASt) – Germany
Framework and Data for Guiding Investments in Transportation Resilience - findings and recommendations of a TRB study
• Dr. Joseph L. SCHOFER, Professor of Civil Engineering & Transportation; Associate Dean, Robert R. McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science, Northwestern University; Chair of the TRB Transportation Resilience Measures Policy Study – USA
Improving road infrastructure monitoring and resilience with Big Data collected from in-vehicle sensors
• Mr. Toni LUSIKKA, Research Scientist, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd. – Finland
Questions and Answers / Roundtable discussion
• Dr. Ralf HEDEL. Moderator of ECTRI’s Thematic Group on Security & Resilience; Researcher and Project Manager, Department of Strategy and Optimization, Fraunhofer IVI – Germany
• Bill ANDERSON. Senior Program Officer at TRB; National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine – USA
• Juan Fernando MENDOZA SÁNCHEZ. PIARC TC 1.4 Spanish Secretary. Head of Environment Research Group, Mexican Institute of Transportation – Mexico
• Dr. Ioannis BENEKOS – Greece
Session Organiser: Dr. Ioannis BENEKOS
PIARC Technical key contacts : Dr. Ioannis BENEKOS and Caroline EVANS